We interviewed and photographed Portland creatives we admire to discover their animal spirits and find out a little bit more about their work.
Seth Neefus: Buffalo
Seth is a gifted musician, artist and product designer — and that's only the beginning. Together with his brother Casey, he runs Red Clouds Collective, a group of amazingly skilled friends and collaborators who build thoughtfully designed life products — think clothing, bags, and their eponymous GOODbook — inspired by a love for exploring the world. Deeply grounded in the tactile world through his creative work, Seth’s calm, wise nature reminded us of the Buffalo: grounded yet heavenly, practical yet spiritual.
- What is your medium? I work with a wide range of art forms. The main few are actually all very different from each other, but so similar in relation to my life. It boils down to art and design verses fashion and function. It all relates to how something feels when you look at it or when you hold it or use it. A very intimate relationship based off feelings and what might work with each other. I am not sure if I should label myself as an artist, musician, graphic designer, product designer, creative developer or just a guy who like to make stuff. Mostly, I just like to use my hands to create something that I feel a needs to be brought to life.
- Three words that describe your work. Past, Present, Future.
- Three words that describe yourself. Feel it out.
- Where do you find inspiration? The people and places I feel connected to.
- What's your biggest struggle as an artist? The learning curve and time. No one has a plan or degree on how to be an artist. It truly takes will power, love, sacrifice and every ounce of energy you have to give to really take a chance. Trusting your heart takes a lot of love.
- How do you rise up against that struggle? I separate work and play.
- Do you have a secret talent or super power? Not that I know of yet.
- What do you think your animal spirit is? It depends on what day of the week it is. I am a buffalo on Wednesdays.