We interviewed and photographed Portland creatives we admire to find out a little bit more about their work.
Britt Howard and Rosemary Brenson are the dynamic co-founders of Portland Garment Factory, a local production house committed to ethically and sustainably produced fabrics and goods. Sensing a gap in the Portland fashion industry, the two joined forces to provide vital services — like sourcing and grading patterns — more commonly found in cities like Los Angeles and New York. We saw in Britt the potent, creative, and fast-moving energy of the Crow; as for Rosemary, we found her deep sensitivity and bustling work ethic resembled the Bee.
Britt Howard/Portland Garment Factory:
- What is your medium? raw materials, found and sourced, mashed together, applied to life
- Three words that describe your work. dynamic, fluid, raw
- Three words that describe yourself. creative, strong, visionary, blunt, silly
- Where do you find inspiration? Inspiration comes to me most fluidly when I am interacting with other makers, creative people, artists, and indie business owners.
- What's your biggest struggle as an artist? Sticking to one project at a time. Not commoditizing my work (business owner survivalist mentality).
- How do you rise up against that struggle? Feminist goggles! They’ve been on since I was ten years old.
- Do you have a secret talent or super power? Mothering is my super power.
- What do you think your animal spirit is? A male bowerbird.
Rosemary Brenson/Portland Garment Factory:
- What is your medium? fabrics of all sorts, sticks and stones, all things grandma
- Three words that describe your work. industrial, revitalizing, thorough
- Three words that describe yourself. old soul, loyal, gentle, and fiery
- Where do you find inspiration? powerful forces - like lightening over the ocean, feelings of infinite possibilities and infinite potential.
- What's your biggest struggle as an artist? Bringing new things into a world overflowing with stuff.
- How do you rise up against that struggle? Designing with intention. Helping create goods with longevity and lasting purpose.
- Do you have a secret talent or super power? (heart) putting babies to sleep (heart)
- What do you think your animal spirit is? flamingo