We interviewed and photographed Portland creatives we admire to find out a little bit more about their work.
Ryan Oxford: Nightingale
Ryan is a singer/songwriter whose wry, resonant voice illuminates the dark subject matter he addresses. Love lost, life's misfortunes, and the swift passage of time all find expression through his work. Whether composing, writing or singing, Ryan embodies Nightingale energy, which reminds us that music has the power to heal even the deepest wounds.
- What is your medium? Music
- Three words that describe your work: wry, toe-tapping, murky
- Three words that describe yourself: slightly above average
- Where do you find inspiration? bad situations, pop oddities, anything the Wrecking Crew played.
- What's your biggest struggle as an artist? getting lost in the quest of perfecting something
- How do you rise up against that struggle? by collaborating and working quickly
- Do you have a secret talent or super power? a great flower arranger/whistler
- What do you think your animal spirit is? a whale